Sunday, November 9, 2008

Paper Ma-shame!

Man. Okay, weak opening pun.

So my Engineering School has recently gone manic, foaming at the mouth green. So much so that they cut the beloved gas/ethanol SAE Formula Race car we build every year so that all focus could be put on the Hybrid competition, for example.

Ranting aside, we also have a very cool system that tracks the energy usage of each building as well as the amount of energy the solar panels on top of the school are contributing. Pretty sad actually, it was bright and sunny this morning and the panels were pumping out a whopping 7 kW. The school was using 480. Damn.

The other thing they track is paper usage, and this is what pisses me off. Yesterday, a freaking SATURDAY, people printed 779 pages of paper. Today, it was 1,480. And I left EARLY. I mean really? Why do people possibly need that much paper? But I have an idea. It should track both the total used and the worst offenders (who aren't profs printing for class) so they could be ritually humiliated and judged by their peers. Mostly because I think it would be effective, but also because it would be fun to judge.

No comments: