Monday, March 2, 2009

An American Tragedy

So being that I clearly don't have enough to keep me busy, I've entered into a literary pact with my BGE. We're working our way through the 100 Greatest American Books in alphabetical order. My first assignment was "An American Tragedy," by Dreiser.
Now before I post my reaction/thoughts to this 600 page saga, let me begin by saying this: I can honestly see why people would think this is a great book. Dreiser is very, very good at developing his main character Clyde, and although you make some rather abrupt jumps forward in time, you almost feel like you grow up with the guy.
I don't want to post too much, as it'll ruin the book for my partner in crime, but I'll air two complaints. First, most of the other characters, as opposed to Clyde, are weak and interchangeable. Now I can already hear a defense in the manner of "Well perhaps Dreiser was trying to portray the characters as Clyde, in his self-centered manner, saw (or failed to see) them." I disagree. I think Dreiser simply aimed very high insofar has the scope of the novel. He pulled some things off well, others, like this, not so well. Secondly, the pace of the book completely throws you at the end. And not in a good way. After 500 pages of Clyde whining, moralizing, shaking his hands at the heavens, worrying about his clothes and coming up with great pick up lines like "Oh you sweet, wonderful kid you!" the book drives you off a cliff of shock and into a deep bay of hopelessness and terrible metaphors (like these!).
In the end the book reads like a warning or a very scary episode of Davey and Goliath. Basically, if you chase booze and women and let yourself fall into fast life of nice clothes and an office job, you will die by electrocution. In all seriousness, I think Dreiser was positing the opposite of the clean, earned by the sweat of your brow American Dream in the form of Clyde's downfall.

Next up, Appointment in Samarra. Only like 98 more until I can read Watchman for the 50th time! Woot!

No comments: