Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Happy Large Hadron Collider Day!

Well since I'm writing this the world didn't end today! That's actually a mixed blessing. I mean I have to endure 55 more days of pathetic political bickering on TV and I can't use the excuse that small black hole ate my final report for my Master's project. On the other hand, in a couple of months we might find out a whole ton about the Higgs boson, which is pretty damn cool in my book. Or we might not, which is equally interesting.
I love the wave of terror it caused, as well as the bevy of poorly researched editorials. And the pieces were great because they would quote 10 scientists saying that a tiny black hole forming in the collider would be about as likely as one forming randomly in your living room and then completely ignore it and rant about how crazy bad a black hole forming would be. I mean come on, worst case we loose Switzerland. And a bit a France. But just the boring bits.
Anyways, I'm ranting as procrastination. My paper really is due in 48 hours or so. So ahhh. Back to work.

EDIT: Freud would love that both this post and a major newspaper referred to it as the "Large Hardon Collider." I mean the mental images are ridiculous. 10 bucks says someone makes this a porno in the next 3 month.

No comments: