Friday, June 26, 2009

In Threes

So I hear that celebrity deaths, much like bad luck, come in threes. With Fawcett and Jackson down, I guess there's still one outstanding (Jeff Goldblum was apparently rumored to have died as well, but as it happens the Interwebs just confused "dead" with "no longer relevant").

The obit for Fawcett in the Times was actually condescending as all hell. It's always nice when someone dies (celebrity or not) of cancer and the lede for the obituary is basically "Well, she was a sex symbol. And she tried to be more. But it didn't happen. But trying is good, right?" Not that it matters, as MJ is going to dominate the headlines. It took all of about two hours for the major media outlets to start racing to find the last photo taken of him, which, as it happens, was him on a stretcher being loaded into an ambulance. It's official. We live in a culture with no class whatsoever.

So now I suppose we have to sit back and wait for the third celebrity to drop. And I get to sit back and wait for the next two "unfortunate opportunities" to arise. Woot and a half.

No comments: